Becoming and Registered Dietitian



So if you didn't know I'm a nutrition major going into my senior year in college. Since the beginning of my challenges with eating I knew that I wanted to study nutrition. For many years though that was something I didn't know if I'd be able to do. I could barely keep my head above water when it came to my own experience with food. Freshman year of college I pursued treatment at my college for my struggles and slowly but steadily have come to a place of peace with food and my body that I never thought was possible. 

I've always had it in the back of my mind to become a nutrition counselor and work with eating disorders. This was something I rarely voiced because I didn't want to sound hypocritical. However, I think I'm currently at a place where I could be able to help others. So my current career goals for the next couple years involve getting a nutrition internship next year (probably living at home and doing one cause I don't have much money), getting my Masters in Psychology (currently I'm minoring in Psychology) and hopefully getting employed as a nutrition counselor. Although I say I want to work with eating disorders, I'm willing to also work with other conditions such as diabetes, obesity, cystic fibrosis... 

All that to say this summer I am volunteering at a hospital as a dietary aide (think food service) to be able to put that on my resume for the internship. I've also worked a lot in food service jobs over the past several years.

Also I reached out to my dietitian from high school to see if I could shadow her and instead she said she has some opportunities for me to speak to teen girls about health. I'm meeting with her tomorrow to go over further details. 

My grades are pretty good. I end up with an A or A- in most classes. I've made a B in every semester so far (my 3 Chem classes, microbiology, Metabolism I, religion in Asia). I'm not saying this to brag though. There are definitely people in my class who do better than me and there are definitely people who do worst than me. It doesn't matter. I'm not competing against them. I'm trying my best and that's all that matters. Sometimes I get stressed out with tests and schoolwork but I think that's pretty normal. 



If you have questions about my experience or questions about the path to becoming and RD don't hesitate to reach out to me and/or others. 

Comments