Random thoughts on sleep



Anyone else find sleep super fascinating? Like how is it that we can be unconscious everyday for 8hrs? Sleep is one of those things that I wish the science field knew more about. I mean I haven't researched it thoroughly, but it doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of information out there. We know sleep is good for us and there are negative consequences when we don't get enough but we don't what's actually happening while we sleep.

That leads me to dreams. Super fascinating. The emotion that's sometimes felt in them is super strong sometimes it temporarily changes my perspective on someone based on what they did in my dream. And then sometimes dreams are just so random it's like where did that come from?

And being tired is another phenomenon. Sometimes it's super hard to sleep or I can survive on less than 8hrs but other times I sleep 9 or 10 hrs and I'm still drowsy all day. How does that happen? Often I wake up in the early mornings. Why is that? Why dos some people have an easier time falling asleep than others?


It normally takes me about half and hr to fall asleep. I also have a hard time laying still when I'm trying to go to sleep. Apparently restless leg syndrome is an actual thing. I think I have that cause often my legs literally ache and I feel like I have to move them around a lot at night. I wish I was one of those people who could take 20min naps but I just can't shut my mind off and I don't have the patience to lay there for that long. Anyone have helpful tips for falling asleep fast? Here I some things that sometimes work for me:

  • The 4-7-8 breathing exercise 
  • reading before I sleep 
  • trying to recount detailed events of my day or recite something
  • Let my mind wander and think about anything it wants  
  • Just stay up until I'm very tired (not my fav method but one I resort to the most)
I used to be an early morning person but this yr I've been sleeping in until 8:30 which I recognize it's super late but I still would like to get up earlier. I typically go to bed at 11 but I really want to push that back to 10. Anyways, what are your thoughts about sleep? I'd love to hear 

Comments