Body Image




May 21, 2017
Hi all! So today I'd like to talk about body image and share what I've been learning so that hopefully it will encourage you. 

More often than not disordered eating and negative body image go hand in hand. But having a negative body image can also occur separately from disordered eating. I don't have the exact statistic but I've seen that a very high percentage of women are dissatisfied with the way they look. 

I want to wrestle through this topic with you because it's extremely important. I am by no means fully recovered from my negative body image, but I have come a long way and I want to share what I've been learning. 


1. There is an ideal body image but it's not possible to obtain for the majority of people. I've been told that there is no such thing as a perfect body and that what society considered beautiful has changed over time. People use the example of back in the old days how heavier people were looked up to rather than skinny people because it meant they had more food to eat. Ok that may be true but that doesn't help the fact that currently right now our society views thin people as most attractive. I know what the perfect female body looks like in my mind and you probably have a picture in you mind too. 

I think it helps to acknowledge that yes there actually is an ideal even if it's just in my mind. Some people genetically are built the way I want to look. Other girls are starving to look that way, others are actually photoshopped. 

2. I will never look the way I think I should if I measure myself by the ideal image. There are several reasons for this. Every body is built differently. Like I really want red hair but no matter how much I want to have red hair it's just not in my genes. There are things I can do to change how big my body is (like eat less) but that will only go so far. No matter how thin I get I still won't be satisfied with how I look. I say this from experience. 

3. If I do eat less to make myself look thinner that comes with other consequences such as fatigue, depression, isolation, frustration, and a trap that's hard to get out of. Why would I trade my wellbeing (mental health, relationships, future, energy) for a slightly thinner body that's never actually going to look the way I desperately want it to no matter how starving it is. 

4. Acceptance is key. Accept the way that God created me whether I like it or not. Sometimes I find myself looking in the mirror and thinking I don't like that my stomach is so wide and that my hips aren't smaller. Then I tell myself I need to take my case up with my Creator. He is the Potter. I am the clay. He could've made me naturally super thin but he designed my shape the way he wanted to according to his wisdom. Therefore I accept it and move on. 
5. Healthy is the new skinny. I read this somewhere and I really like it. When we talk about accepting our body as it is we're not saying to completely disregard health. If I can say that I'm doing my best to take care of my body by regularly exercising and a eating balanced diet, my weight and my body should naturally find it's set point and I don't need to worry about it or micromanage it. I've been told that having a period is an indicator that your body is where it needs to be to be healthy. I'm still working on that. 

This is just a summary of my initial thoughts. I feel like I could write more details but I hope this helps. This yr reading other blogs has helped me come to a lot of these realizations. Remember you are not alone. Don't hesitate to contact me with questions, comments, or concerns. You are greatly loved!!! 

Comments